Thursday, April 22, 2004

Am I Dreaming?

The Cubs posted 12 runs on the Pirates last night without any of them coming from the long ball. The Cubs plated 8 runs in the first inning with at least 5 with no outs (I can’t exactly remember). This is just becoming plain ridiculous. This is so surreal for a Cub fan – just enjoy it while it keeps happening. The Cubs, Astros, and Cardinals are all having monster seasons to this point. We’re going to see some crazy series this year.

C.P.

What did I comment on yesterday? I said Corey Patterson was going to make a push for the All-Star game again. What happened? He went 5-for-6 with 2 runs, an RBI, and brought his average up to .311. I think he’s going to have a great year. I also put him on my All-Star ballot this morning when I voted online. Isn’t it ridiculous you can vote for All-Stars already?

Derrek Lee

He looks like he’s coming around. He smashed a 2-run double in that monster first inning. It was a sweet swing. It would have been out in many other ballparks, but PNC has that monstrous left-center field.

Jason Fogg

He has to be having nightmares about the Cubs. They blessed him with a chubby 17.00 ERA – something every pitcher would love to have (note the sarcasm). He’s going to have to start up an Atkins ERA Diet or something (I hate the Atkins diet, so I won’t start). Fogg fell to 0-3 with two of those losses at the hands of the Cubs giving up 15 runs in two starts to the Northsiders.

Sergio Mitre

What a solid performance from this kid! Here’s a quote from MLB.com: "I felt pretty good," Mitre explained. "There's still things to work on, but it's still early in the year so I still need to land in that good rhythm. I'll just come back and work tomorrow."

Mitre went 6 innings giving up only 4 hits and 3 walks while striking out an impressive 7 batters. His ERA is in stark contrast to Fogg’s at 2.89. We might have to keep him around when Prior gets back.

Tonight

Tonight is a big pitcher’s matchup between Kerry Wood and Kip Wells. This one should be good. Let’s look to see if the Cubs can get another early lead and kick these Pirates where the sun don’t shine.