Thursday, April 29, 2004

Stop the Bleeding

After two terrible games against the Diamondbacks, the Cubs did not manage to throw away game three despite their best efforts. The Cubs hung on to win 4-3. It came down to the wire although it should not have. The Cubs could not capitalize on a Todd Walker leadoff double late in the game to tack on an insurance run. Joe Borowski gave everyone a near heart attack by pitching up a 385-foot deep fly ball to center field with a runner on and 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth – D-Backs down by one. I immediately thought JoBo just gave up the game, but alas, Corey Patterson was camped out underneath the fly.

Steve Finley

He hit three home runs last night - two off Maddux and one off LaTroy Hawkins. All I’m going to say is at least they were three solo home runs.

Alex Gonzalez

He delivered with another clutch home run. Why can’t he hit when there is no pressure or only moderate pressure? It seems like Alex only wakes up when the Cubs need a big home run. Regardless, he was the big hero last night after the Cubs squandered an insurance opportunity and LaTroy gave up the tying home run in the eighth.

Cardinals

The Cubs are headed to St. Louis on Friday for a four game weekend set. I’m looking for the Cubs to do some damage. I think I heard last night that the Cardinals are 3-8 at home this year. I’d like to make that number even more lopsided. I’m actually going to the game Sunday and will see Big Z take on resident jerk Matt Morris. Maybe Matt Morris will say some idiotic, cruel, and derogatory comment toward Mark Prior again. I can’t stand that guy and he’s on my fantasy team. I missed my draft and the stupid auto draft picked him for me. I’m trying to trade him.

Suspensions

Dusty Baker served his one game suspension last night for giving it to C.B. Bucknor after Bucknor missed a double switch. Talk about stupid! This is just ridiculous – but it doesn’t end there… Kerry Wood got a five game suspension for arguing balls and strikes after the ump clearly missed a crucial pitch that was very clearly a strike. Wood kept his mouth shut until the inning went haywire and Dusty pulled him out of the game. Wood took this as an opportunity to let the umpire know he missed the call.

Notes

The Reds gave up a nine run lead to end up losing to the Brewers 10-9. How embarrassing! Derek Jeter went 0-4 for the Yankees improving to 0 for his last 32. He is getting booed profusely (at home).