Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Are You Kidding Me?

Is this really happening? I've been on a hiatus from the blogging world for a couple of weeks since my last post chiding Dusty Baker's use of Neifi Perez and look what has happened since. It's like the Twilight Zone. Perez is killing the ball and the Cubs story looks like someone photocopied it from last year. Here is an excerpt from today's Trib commenting about Chad Fox's season-ending and speculated career-ending injury from last night:

They'd already lost Joe Borowski, Todd Walker and Garciaparra to injuries and are starting to feel like they're living through a rerun of last year's injury-plagued campaign.

What more can I say? The Cubs are repeating two themes from 2004: relying on the long-ball and getting injured. We also have a player that has stepped in due to an injury and performed very well (Perez for Walker / ala Hollandsworth for Sosa 2004). All we can expect now is for Neifi to get injured to complete the deja vu.

Does it look like last year? Absolutely. The only difference so far is that Mark Prior is on the mound and pitching like version 2003. I don't mean to be one of those Cub pessimists (we already have enough of those), so I'll leave it at that. Besides, I don't know what more I could write.