Wednesday, June 01, 2005

FROM THE RED STATES

Ok, so I finally back off my prediction on a Cubs/Cards NLCS and the Cubbies manage to string together 5 straight wins, and pick up 2 games in the standings. Man it's a good thing I didn't live in the Old Testament times because I would have done been stoned to death a long time ago. So feeling that I have opened my yap and set a jinx on my beloved Cardinals, I am again predicting a Cubs/Cards NLCS. Hopefully it is not too late to break this streak that the Cubbies are on.

All this without Prior and Wood got me to thinking...I will not say I think the Cubs are better off without Prior, because as I stated before I think he is the best young pitcher in the game. However I do feel they are better off without the over hyped, over rated, primaddona Kerry Wood. I would be interested in finding out their record since he went down. I haven't the time to look it up right now, but off the top of my head I would have to say that it is very good. I know what the Cardinals record has been the last month or so, and the Cubs are about as many games out as they were when he went down, so I would have to guesstimate that there record is about the same, which is pretty good. If I am Jim Hendry, at the deadline I would try to find some team desperate for a starter, and still believing in the Kerry Wood hype, and see if you can't sucker some poor GM into a deal for a few prospects. Or maybe a good outfielder with a good bat. If you packaged Wood and Patterson, also over hyped and over rated, you might be able to get a few decent ball players.