Monday, August 01, 2005

AT LEAST CANSECO IS HONEST

Well, in a shocking development, ESPN.com is reporting that Baltimore Orioles slugger, former Cub, and 1 of only 4 players to have 3,000 hits and 500 HR's, Rafael Palmeiro will be suspended 10 games by MLB for violation of the leagues steroid policy.

Yes, the same Rafael Palmeiro who sat before Congress in March and denied ever using steroids. Say what you want about McGwire, atleast he didn't out right lie, he just refused to answer the question. Palmeiro, on the other hand, flat out lied. What does this do for his HOF bid?

Well in my opinion he should still get in, as should McGwire, as should Sosa, and Pete Rose for that matter. In my humble opinion, if a President of the United States can be an adulterer, and lie about it, "I never had sexual relations with that women", a man with 3000 hits and 500 HR's can be in the Baseball Hall of Fame. If known drug abusers such as Ferguson Jenkins, and Orlando Cepeda can be in, so can these guys.

I try to live my life by the teachings of God's Word, the Bible, and try to be more like Jesus Christ each and every day. The Bible I read teaches me that it is not my place to judge any other man, and when Jesus would say "let he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone." Well Cub fans I don't know about you, but I would have to lay my stones on the ground, just as the Pharisees did. I have a log in my own eye, so how can I judge the speck in someone else's eye. I am not perfect so I have no moral authority to judge the personal life of any player. The only judgement that should be made when considering the HOF, are a players stats and clearly Rafael Palmeiro deserves to be in. As does McGwire, Sosa, and even Pete Rose.

It is a sad state in baseball when the one coming out of this smelling like roses is Canseco. Say what you want about the man, but he spoke the truth. How serious of a problem is this in baseball. Thus far there have been a couple of no name guys get caught, but man Raffy, especially just a few weeks after reaching the milestones he reached.

This cast shadows on a few players currently who are having bad years, and clearly their body styles have changed. A few names that come to mind of course Sam-me, but what about Javy Lopez, Ivan Rodriguez looks like a shell of the players he was just a year ago. And even my boy Scott Rolen. I mean is he so fragile to injure his shoulder on a seemingly minor collision with Hee Seop Choi. All tests show no damage to his shoulder, yet he still struggles. It goes without mentioning the year of Barroid Bonds. Canseco also mentioned other names such as Miguel Tejada.

Well if Chris' boy Bud Selig was looking for a "star" to hang his hat on he got it today. After what he did just a few weeks ago, there is no bigger star in baseball right now than Palmeiro.

It appears Canseco wasn't lying in his book.