Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I am beginning to wonder what has happened with my fellow bloggers. It seems I am a one man show here lately. Maybe I can change the name of the blog, but I think Chris might have a little something to say about that.

I really don't know what to talk about. The Cardinals have one more week off before they start the post season, hopefully they can do the difficult and turn momentum off then turn it back on when needed. The Bears, after that display on Sunday I think I would rather sit here and talk about the rate of which paint dries. I have found that paint will dry much faster in a room with a lot of natural light, just a tip for those do it yourselfers.

What to talk about, I know Illini basketball. I read in the paper that their practice schedule starts in two weeks, with the Midnight Madness on October 14th. It seems like just last night I sat there broken hearted watching the final seconds tick away in the Illini's loss to UNC. I really don't know what to expect from our Illini this year.

Dee Brown coming back certainly helps, and might have turned a down year into a year that we might be able to win a few games. James Augustine needs to step up and be huge this year. If that happens I think, once again we might be able to contend for the Big 10 title.

We also are bringing in Marcus Arnold into the fold this year. I remember Arnold from a few years ago when he was at Illinois State, he almost single handily defeated the Illini. Remember, that was the game where Deron Williams broke his jaw. Arnold is a solid player. I believe if he was able to play last season he might have made the difference in the Final against UNC. He has the size and ability to maybe atleast have slowed down Sean May, and May was the difference in that game.

I also expect big things from fellow Peorian Brian Randle, who is a solid defender, but needs to pick up the scoring a little.

Overall I think the Illini might be solid again this season. I don't see them being anywhere near as good as last season, but I think they can atleast be in the hunt for the Big 10. In the big dance anything can happen, and usually does.

I really don't know what to to think about Bruce Weber's recruiting ability. I think Chris and I disagree on this soemwhat. Weber's inability to land the blue chippers is frustrating, but I think it is more important to be a better x's and o's coach myself. Bill Self is an excellent recruiter, but blows as a coach. It appears Bruce Weber is a great coach but blows as a recruiter. Naturally you would prefer a coach to be great at both ala Coach K. However if you can take mediocre talent and coach them into winners, eventually you won't have to be that great of a recruiter because your programs winning ways will sell itself. If you win and do it consistently, blue chippers will be beating down the door to get to Illinois. Then you get the advantage of a great x's and o's coach with great talent, that's when you start winning National Championships.

The good news for me though is that come Illini season I will no longer be living in the middle of ACC country. Praise God, I will be back in P-town in the middle of Illini Nation. Go Illini.