Thursday, November 24, 2005

MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY

Despite the events of last night, I refuse to let the actions of a couple of idiots with badges damper my spirits on this by far my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving Day. I am all about Thanksgiving Day. Christmas is ok, but in my humble opinion it pales in comparison to Thanksgiving. The only bad thing about Thanksgiving Day is that we are so ungrateful as a society that we pick 1 day out 365 days to be thankful, as if the other 364 days we are a bunch of ungrateful people. In my book, everyday should be Thanksgiving, and I'm not talking about the turkey and the football either.

I love God's Word-the Bible. It is the only book that is indeed "living and active", and if you are one who doubts that and thinks it is just some book written by a bunch of dudes like a 1000 years ago, well I pray for you that God would make Himself known to you through His Word as He has done in my life. I could share many a story from my life, where God has used His word as a living vessel to make Himself known to me. By far my favorite book in the Bible is the Apostle Paul's letter to the Philippians. Philippians is my favorite book in the Bible far and away, because the common theme we get from reading Philippians is to rejoice and be thankful, in all situations . We read verses like "Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice." Or "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with THANKSGIVING, present your requests to God, and the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

I have so much to be thankful for. Although I am single guy, I have a great family, parents who have been married for 31 years. A sister who I love, and two nephews who I doubt I could love anymore if they were my own sons. I am thankful that I live in a country where I can be free to read and study God's Word and talk about it openly in front of people without fear of persecution. Not everyone is so blessed, just ask those suffering persecution in the Sudan or many other nations where people are oppressed and persecuted for their faith. I am thankful for the many friends I have. A lot of people go through life without any true friends, and I have many, including my fellow posters on this blog, some I have never met, but consider them more than friends, but brothers in Christ.

Most of all, I am thankful for the fact that I no longer fear death, and no longer wonder what happens to me when I leave this life. You see God's Word tells us that we can know for sure if we have or don't have this precious gift of eternal life, and forgiveness of our sin. This may shock some of you to know, but I am by far an imperfect person, some of you may have noticed that by reading my post on this blog right after the Cardinals choke job against the Astros in the NLCS this year. I am however perfect in Gods eyes, who looks on me and does not notice my imperfection, but sees the blood of Jesus, who paid the price for my sin with his death on a cross. All for me, He died in my place, and He died in your place. He was perfect, the Bible says "God made Him who knew no sin, to be sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God." Jesus was perfect and yet he died in my place, he took upon Himself the punishment of a criminals cross, that was meant for me and for you. I have found "this peace" that Paul talks about in Philippians and that peace comes from one place and one place only, contrary to what you hear from the world, we can only find it in one place. That place is through a personal relationship with Christ Jesus. That's it my friends. That's the secret to living a true peaceful life, a relationship with Jesus Christ. God manifested in the flesh, the living Son of God. I pray that you too might find this peace that I and so many others have found. It's not found in any other place. Some look everywhere but where it is trully found and sadly never find it. I pray that this Thanksgiving Day, would be the day where you find it.