Sunday, January 15, 2006

Disgusting in Chicago...

Absolutely disgusting results from Soldier Field tonight. Is there a worse way to describe that game than that. I'm at a loss for words. If you told me before the game started that the Bears would score 21 points on 3 solid drives by the Bears offense, I would have bet the farm the Bears would win. As it turns out I would have lost my farm. I guess it's a good thing I don't have a farm, and nobody told me that before the game.

All season long the D has carried us, got us where we were, and as it turns out was the deciding factor in ending the season. That performance was horrendous, absolutely disgusting. I guess all the hype on Ron Rivera being someones next head coach is put to rest. He and the entire Bears defensive staff got their rear ends handed to them in humiliating fashion.

Although I am not a big fan of "moral victories", or "it was a successful season", blah blah blah. I will say it was a good season, not successful, because the ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl. That having been said, we failed to get it done when it counted, and that disgusts me.

There were some psoitive things about the performance today. One was we might have a pretty decent offense going into next season. Assuming of course that Grossman can stay healthy, big assumption of course, considering he never has. Also we may have found a go to reciever in Bernard Berrian, who was playing great until he got hurt. Berrian has great speed and showed a real ability to hang on to the ball, even when he was drilled. Maybe Muhsin Muhhamad should try and learn a little from this.

Defensively, although they disgusted me today, I don't think much is needed. One clear need is another corner opposite Nathan Vasher. At times Charles Tillman looked lost out there and he had no chance at covering Steve Smith. I mean Smith is a great player but this is not the first game Tillman has choked , the Cleveland loss, and the Bengals game come to mind. Another corner opposite Vasher would be a nice addition. Also I hate to say this because I love the guy, but a replacement for Mike Brown might be needed. This so called "calf injury" that put him out for 5 weeks, and kept him out of the game tonight, I believe, is alot more serious than they are letting on. Remember the torn achilles last year. I'm afraid a backup plan might be needed for next season. Other than that on the defensive side of the ball I think were set. I would push hard for a contract extension for Lance Briggs before he hits the open market and costs us a arm and leg to re-sign him. If we can accomplish these three things in the off season I will be happy.

On offense, I think the needs are more serious, obviously. I think the first order of business is a tight end that can catch a pass half the time. Although Clark caught a TD tonight, that just proves once again that even a busted clock is right twice a day. First, I find a tight end somewhere. Tony Gonzalez I believe is a free agent, would be nice to have. If there is nothing available via free agency, I really Like Leonard Pope from Georgia. That dude is 6'8" and would present huge options for us and match up problems for opposing teams. How in the world do you cover a 6'8" 270 pound tight end. Pope has great hands, and with his size I suspect would be a great blocker. Mercedes Lewis from UCLA, and Vernon Davis from Maryland, are also solid tight end candidates that might be available to us late in the first round.

Secondly, we need depth at O-line. I hated the fact that we signed Garza to a 6 year deal. Garza is a waste of human space if you ask me, and we would have been better off flushing the money down the toilet. I love Kreutz, Brown and Miller are about 3 or 4 years away from drawing Social Security. I guess were stuck with Garza now. If I'm running the show I sign a real left tackle and move Tait back to right tackle.

We obviously need another reciever or two. I like Bradley coming back healthy next season, and the emergence of Berrian has us headed in the right direction. I despise Muhammad, I'd release him, but I relize that ain't gonna happen. Two free agents this season I would love to see the Bears go after, first would be Reggie Wayne. I think he might be signable because I don't see Indianapolis having the money to sign Edgerrin James and him. Also I would love to see the Bears get Antwaan Randle El. He's from Chicaog and he might like to return home as a free agent. Might I add he would solve our horrendous punt return problem as well.

All in all I think the Bears are close to being a serious Super Bowl contender. Were not there yet but really close. I trully believe defense wins championships and although they let us down today I have faith in these guys on D. I was not a big Grossman fan before today, but he played pretty well today and he has won me over. Can he stay healthy? I really believe a serious threat at tight end will make the difference for the Bears on O. I really think Leonard Pope is that guy. On draft day I would consider trading up a few spots if we got a shot at this guy.

I haven't said this about a football season for awhile, but I'm already looking forward to next year.