Tuesday, May 02, 2006

FREAKEN ANGELO...

Well I have said it once and I will say it again, "the Bears will never win anything until Jerry Angelo is fired." In the weeks leading up to the draft I kept hearing that the Bears have zero needs because we were returning all 22 starters. In my own mind, I was thinking that this was simply pre-draft pandering on Jerry's part to increase any possible trade value he might be considering. I was thinking he possibly couldn't be so stupid to not see any needs on offense. He couldn't be so stupid to realize that 11 returning starters on defense was good, because we had a good defense. However, 11 returning starters on offense was bad BECAUSE WE HAD THE 31ST RANKED OFFENSE IN THE LEAGUE. So in other words they sucked last year, but we got tham all back again this year, and in Jerry's mind that's a good thing. He couldn't be that stupid.

I learned a valuable lesson, never underestimate the level of stupidity in the front office of the Chicago Bears. I was wrong, Jerry Angelo is that stupid.

I heard leading up to the draft that we had no needs, we don't need a tight end, we don't need a wide reciever who is capable of getting down the field and catching the ball, we don't need a few lineman to back up our AARP squad we got on the line, no we need defense.

I will be the first to admit that another cornerback was needed, but there was so much on offense that we needed more. At the 26th pick the Bears had their choice of tight ends. I personally would have been aggressive and tried to move up and get Vernon Davis, but even at 26 we had Marcedes Lewis, Fassano, Klopfenstein, or my personal favorite Leonard Pope, who we passed on 3 times. Instead, we traded down into the second round to get the third round pick we gave away for Ricky Manning, and used that to draft another cornerback. Real shrewed there. Then even another cornerback in Devin Hester, with our original pick in the second. In all 5 of our first 5 picks are on the defensive side of the ball, and we finally picked a lineman and a fullback in the 6th round.

Thank the Lord we are set with such a solid offense that we are in for another great season.