Monday, August 01, 2005

I have never used steroids - Doh!

Rafael Palmeiro made headlines earlier this year when he vehemently denied ever using steroids. In fact, Palmeiro read the following statement before members of congress that day:

"Good morning, Mr. Chairman and members of the committee. My name is Rafael Palmeiro and I am a professional baseball player. I'll be brief in my remarks today. Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never. The reference to me in Mr. Canseco's book is absolutely false. I am against the use of steroids. I don't think athletes should use steroids and I don't think our kids should use them. That point of view is one, unfortunately, that is not shared by our former colleague, Jose Canseco. Mr. Canseco is an unashamed advocate for increased steroid use by all athletes."


As it turns out, that statement turned out to be Clintoneseque with regard to its veracity. In fact, it seems that Mr. Palmeiro is just as truth-challenged as our former president.

You see, Mr. Palmeiro is at pains to describe exactly how the steroids he just tested positive for ended up in his body.

Doh!

Too bad the other [alleged] steroid abusers who also appeared before that panel (most especially Mark McGwire) won't be tested to prove that Jose was telling the truth with regard to all of them.